Islamabad, 27 March 2025: Pakistan and Japan have been excluded from Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament. The reason for their omission remains unclear.
The event is set to take place in Ipoh, Malaysia, from November 22 to 29, will feature teams from Belgium, Canada, Germany, India, Ireland, and the host nation, Malaysia.
Officials from PHF confirmed that Pakistan had not received an invitation from the organisers, raising concerns over the selection process.
Last year, the strong performance showcased by Pakistan was widely praised at the government level, making their exclusion surprising.
Read More: PSL 10 Exhibition Match in Doubt as PCB Flags Venue Concerns
Meanwhile, Pakistan junior team is preparing to face Oman in a four-match series starting April 6.
PHF President Tariq Hussain announced the development at a press conference where Ammad Shakeel Butt was honored for receiving the Tamgha-e-Imtiaz.
Bugti, alongside Mujahid and coach Tahir Zaman, called Ammad’s achievement a proud moment for Pakistan’s hockey community.
He added that Oman would play two matches each in Lahore and Islamabad, thanking the German and Omani for sending their teams to Pakistan.
Speaking at the event, Ammad shared his excitement over receiving the award and hoped that more hockey players would be recognised in the future.
He said the Germany series provided valuable experience and expected the Oman matches to benefit Pakistan’s young players.
Read More: PCB Finalizes Player Replacements as PSL 10 Nears Kickoff
Mujahid dismissed speculation that unpaid dues led to the exclusion of Pakistan, affirming strong ties with Malaysia and PHF’s willingness to settle any dues.
Mujahid also revealed that PHF had developed a comprehensive plan for upcoming international events, including World Cup qualifiers and the Junior World Cup in India.
He mentioned that Pakistan’s senior team would play at least 25 international matches and discussions were underway with three countries for visits.
However, he said the decision on whether Pakistan would participate in events in India rested with the federal government.
Additionally, he confirmed that a training camp for the national junior team would begin in Lahore on April 4.