Islamabad, April 5, 2025: Pakistan tour of New Zealand ended in disappointment after the hosts completed a 3-0 sweep in the ODI series with a 43-run win.
The result compounded the struggles of the Men In Green, following a 4-1 loss in the preceding five-match T20I series last month.
The final ODI, shortened to 42 overs due to rain, saw Pakistan falter while chasing a target of 265.
Despite a good start led by the fifty from Babar Azam, the visitors lost momentum as New the opposition dismantled the middle and lower order.
Speaking to the media, Mohammad Rizwan admitted that Pakistan had failed to capitalize on favourable bowling conditions, especially with the new ball.
Read More: Ali Tareen Shares Crucial Update on Ihsanullah’s Availability for PSL 10
He noted that all three matches were played on seamer-friendly pitches, yet the team struggled to take early wickets despite choosing to bowl.
Rizwan explained that on damp, green surfaces in New Zealand mornings, any team would have opted to bowl first.
However, he felt the bowlers lacked aggression during the crucial opening overs. In contrast, New Zealand exploited similar conditions effectively.
The skipper also addressed the ongoing issues in the national set in closing out games.
Read More: PCB to Honor Local Heroes in HBL PSL X with ‘Hamaray Heroes’ Initiative
The Peshawar-born cricketer said that Pakistan tended to stay in control until around the 40th over, only to lose grip in the closing phase.
On the question of senior players, including himself and Babar Azam, not being able to guide the team to victory, Rizwan acknowledged the shortfall.
The right-hander said improvements were necessary in finishing games and that the inability to do so had repeatedly cost the team.
As Pakistan returns home without a single win on tour, questions continue to mount about their white-ball strategy and execution in high-pressure situations.